UM Advising Commons

Academic Forgiveness Policy (Faculty Senate Approved, 3.11.11)

The Faculty Senate approved a new Academic Forgiveness Policy last Friday (3/11/11). Under the new policy, students may apply for forgiveness if they have been away from the university for three or more years and have completed 30 or more credits with a grade point average of 2.5 or higher in coursework attempted since their return. Under the policy, grades from all courses in the forgiven semester(s) are excluded from the calculation of the UM grade point average and may not be used to satisfy any university requirements.


March 17, 2011 Posted by | Policy Reminders/Updates | Leave a comment

Limited English Proficiency Q and A

This Q&A document was compiled by a sub-committee of the Diversity Advisory Council  (DAC) to provide information regarding accommodations for students with limited English proficiency, including foreign students and some sub-populations of U.S. students. Legal research was performed by Lucy France, EEO Officer and DAC member.

If faculty would like official LEP accommodation request letters, they may contact Mary Groom Hall at the Undergraduate Advising Center.

~Submitted by DAC

January 19, 2011 Posted by | International Student Orientation, International Students, Policy Reminders/Updates | 1 Comment

Information for Students Suspended for the Spring 2011 Term

This handout may be downloaded here.

To view UM’s full policy on Academic Suspension and Reinstatement click here.

-Submitted by Brian French, Academic Advisor/UAC Coordinator of Services for At Risk Students

January 3, 2011 Posted by | Advising, Policy Reminders/Updates | Leave a comment

Policy Spotlight: Academic Suspension and Reinstatment

The following excerpt is from the 2010-2011 UM Academic Catalog.

Academic Policies and Procedures

Academic Suspension

A student will be placed on academic suspension at the end of any semester if the student was on academic probation during their prior semester of attendance and the student’s cumulative grade average remains below 2.00. Exceptions are made if the student earns at least a 2.00 grade average for the current semester without raising the cumulative grade average to the required minimum. In such cases, students remain on academic probation. A student placed on academic suspension may not re enroll at the University unless the student has been reinstated. Academic suspensions are noted on final grades and transcripts on For more information go to the following URL:


As noted above, a student will be academically suspended at the end of a semester if placed on academic probation during the previous semester of attendance and the student’s cumulative graduate point average (CGPA) remains below the 2.00 CGPA required for good academic standing.

Students who have been suspended for academic reasons and seek reinstatement must receive the approval of the academic dean of the school or college in which they intend to enroll. [If seeking reinstatement in the UM College of Technology, contact the Retention and Advising Coordinator at the COT.]  Typically, retroactive grade changes, dropped courses or withdrawals do not reverse the academic suspension status that is recorded on the transcript, unless there was an error or grading mistake.

Academic reinstatement is not automatic. The student must provide the reasons for previous poor academic performance along with a carefully prepared plan for improvement that is completed with the help of an academic advisor. A student denied reinstatement may appeal the denial in writing to the President of the University within ten days of receiving the notice of denial. The decision to deny reinstatement normally will not be reversed unless there is evidence the decision was made arbitrarily.

If a suspended and reinstated student has not attended UM for more than two years, the student must also complete an application for readmission through the Registrar’s Office. The readmission form re-activates the student’s record and, along with the reinstatement form, allows the student to register for courses.

January 3, 2011 Posted by | Policy Reminders/Updates | 1 Comment

Important Info About Refunds

Student Announcement:

University of Montana Students,

Beginning in December, The University of Montana will be partnering with Higher One®,  a financial services company focused solely on higher education, to bring  a new method for receiving your refunds to all University students ­­— the UM Debit Card.  Please do not throw away this important card because it is your ticket to a faster refund.

Simply put, your new UM Debit Card is designed to provide increased choice when it comes to receiving your financial aid or school refunds. It includes the preferred Easy Refundsm method, which is by far the fastest and easiest way to gain access to your refund money – literally the same day UM releases it.

Please activate your card as soon as you receive it.  Remember, even if you are not currently expecting a refund from UM, we may have a refund for you in the future.

If you’re not sure UM has your current mailing address, please take a moment to visit to update your address information today. Your new UM Debit Card will be mailed to your current address on file with the University. Therefore, it is critical that you verify your mailing address as soon as possible.

You can visit Debit Card/ to learn more about all the great benefits that accompany your all-new UM Debit Card!

~Submitted by Julie Cannon, Special Projects Manager, OSS

November 1, 2010 Posted by | Policy Reminders/Updates | Leave a comment

ForUM: Deadlines Extended for Student Firefighters

"Elk Bath" – A wildfire in the Bitte...

Image via Wikipedia

“Classes at UM begin Monday, Aug. 30, but the Montana University System has announced it will extend important deadlines for students fighting wildfires. The extension gives student firefighters extra time — until Sept. 20 — to meet registration, financial aid, housing and other deadlines.

To take advantage of the extended deadlines and reserve space in courses for which they are registered, UM students fighting fires must call 406-243-6566 by Monday, Aug. 23. The number, in operation 24 hours a day, will play a recording asking students to provide their name, student identification number, the name of the agency they work for, and information about their assigned rooms in residence halls, family housing or elsewhere.

The extension applies to all students involved in the firefighting effort, including those providing support services for fire crews, as well as National Guard members and other military personnel.”

~Article reprinted from the ForUM e-newsletter, August 23rd, 2010

August 23, 2010 Posted by | Advising, Dates & Deadlines, Policy Reminders/Updates | Leave a comment

Clarification of the AP Policy with Respect to the UM Writing Requirement

A score of 3 or higher on the English Language and Composition AP test will earn a student 6 degree credits and satisfy the English Composition (WRIT 101) requirement. With the completion of WRIT 101, students are eligible to take WRIT 201.

A score of 3 or higher on the English Literature and Composition AP test will earn a student 6 degree credits and satisfy the Literary and Artistic Studies (L) requirement. This test cannot be used to place students into either WRIT 101 or WRIT 201.

In the absence of an AP test score, neither AP class may be used to determine a student’s writing placement.

For more information, please refer to

~Submitted by Laura Wright, Academic Advisor, Department of English

July 9, 2010 Posted by | Advising, Assessment Exams, Policy Reminders/Updates, Summer Orientation | Leave a comment

Drop/Add Form (Use from 2.14.11 through 3.28.11)

Use this form from the 16th through the 45th day  of instruction (March 28th @ 4:30pm) to A) drop courses, B) add courses, C) change grade options, D) variable credits and sections. This form can be picked up at the Registration Counter in Griz Central or in the plastic form holders located at the entries to Griz Central.

Drop/Add Form

A&B) Dropping or Adding a Course:
You must have both your instructor and advisor approve the change by signing this form. Once you have the appropriate signatures, turn the form into the Registration Counter in Griz Central. There will be a $10 fee and the class will show as a “W” on the transcript. Students receiving financial aid who will drop under 12 credits should speak with the Financial Aid Counter in Griz Central before dropping the class or run the Satisfactory Academic Progress calculator in Cyberbear (Student Services & Financial Aid > Financial Aid > My Eligibility > Predict My SAP). All students are advised to keep the notarized carbon copy until they have received their grades for the semester.

C) Changing Sections:
Both instructors signatures are required to change sections. Advisor signature is not required.

D) Changing Grading Options:
Both instructor and advisor signatures are required. This options is for students who wish to change variable credit or Traditional/Credit-No Credit options.

You must have the instructor’s signatures before asking for your advisor’s signature. If you do not know who your advisor is, click here.

Once all signatures are acquired, turn the completed form into the Registration Counter in Griz Central.

If you have any questions, contact the Undergraduate Advising Center at 406.243.2835.

February 13, 2010 Posted by | Dates & Deadlines, Forms, Online Resources, Policy Reminders/Updates | , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Early Alert

The Early Alert system in which professors identify students who are struggling in 100 and 200 level courses is underway. It is important that all students in 100 and 200 level classes check Cyberbear to see if they have “deficient” grades posted for any of their current classes. These grades will be labeled as “DEF.” If a student has a “DEF” grade in a class, it is recommended that the student contact his or her instructor immediately to get assistance to bring the grade(s) up by the end of the semester. Academic advisors will also be available to assist students identified through the Early Alert process.

March 27, 2009 Posted by | Policy Reminders/Updates | , , | Leave a comment

New Course Numbering System

Beginning autumn 2009 semester, eighteen academic departments will offer their courses under a new course numbering system. The subject abbreviations are new, the number designations are new, and in some cases even the title of the course has changed. Familiarize yourself with the new course numbering system prior to registration.

Helpful Links
Common Course Numbering Information Site

Frequently Asked Questions

New Course Number Translation Guide

CCN Hotline, 406.243.2800 (April 6 – May 1)

March 27, 2009 Posted by | Online Resources, Policy Reminders/Updates | Leave a comment