UM Advising Commons

Petition to Change Registration (11.2.10-12.13.10)

Use this form from the 46th day  of instruction to the Friday before finals (December 13th, 2010 @ 4:30pm) to A) add courses or change sections, B) change grade options, C) variable credits and sections, or to D) drop courses. This form can be picked up at the Registration Counter in Griz Central or in the plastic form holders located at the entries to Griz Central.

Petition to Change Registration After the 30th Day of Instruction

A) Adding a Course:
You must have both your instructor and advisor approve the change by signing this form. Once you have the appropriate signatures, turn the form into the Registration Counter in Griz Central. There will be a $10 fee.   All students are advised to keep the notarized carbon copy until they have received their grades for the semester.

Changing Sections:
Both instructors signatures are required to change sections. Advisor signature is not required.

B & C) Changing Grading Options:
Both instructor and advisor signatures are required. This option is for students who wish to change variable credit or Traditional/Credit-No Credit options.

D) Dropping a Course:
You must have your instructor, advisor and dean of your major approve the drop by signing this form. Once you have the appropriate signatures, turn the form into the Registration Counter in Griz Central. There will be a $10 fee.  The grade for the dropped class will either be a “WP” for “Withdrawal While Passing” or a “WF” for “Withdrawal While Failing.”  Students receiving financial aid who will drop under 12 credits should speak with the Financial Aid Counter in Griz Central before dropping the class. All students are advised to keep the notarized carbon copy until they have received their grades for the semester.

You must have the instructor’s signatures before asking for your advisor’s signature. If you do not know who your advisor is, click here.

Once all signatures are acquired, turn the completed form into the Registration Counter in Griz Central.

If you have any questions, contact your advisor or the Undergraduate Advising Center at 406.243.2835.


November 1, 2010 Posted by | Advising, Dates & Deadlines, Forms | , , , , , , | Leave a comment

UDWPA Facts for Advisors

UDWPA Facts for Advisors

► Go to Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam for complete information about the exam.

► Passing the UDWPA satisfies a general education requirement. It is neither an exit exam nor a test of competence in a major. Degree-seeking students entering UM with an AA degree must complete this requirement. Students who already hold a bachelor degree do not have to meet this requirement.

► Students, including transfer students, should pass the exam between earning their 45th and 70th college credit. The exam may be retaken until passed but should be passed before a student achieves senior standing, transfer credits included.

► The Registrar does not place registration holds on student accounts related to the UDWPA. Timely completion of the UDWPA requirement depends on the cooperation of students and their advisors. All advisors should alert advisees that they should pass the UDWPA before they fulfill the writing requirement in their major and before they are seniors. The UDWPA should be completed during the sophomore or junior year to avoid scheduling conflicts in the senior year.

► Students should have passed WRIT 101 or its equivalent and one other writing course before attempting the UDWPA exam. No writing course or paper substitutes for the exam. A student may enroll in an upper division writing course prior to passing the UDWPA. However, some faculty require a passing score on the UDWPA as a prerequisite for an upper division writing course.

► Registration for the UDWPA is now done on Cyberbear or at the Registration Counter once Cyberbear registration closes for the semester.  The UDWPA is listed as a course on Cyberbear.  Students who register for a section in GBB, LA, or UC take the test on a computer; those who register in NULH write the exam in a bluebook. Students may add or drop the UDWPA without drop/add fees up to three (3) days prior to an exam. Registration for any exam closes three (3) days before the exam. There are no on-site registrations.  Students should not register for multiple sections.

► Any student who will take the UDWPA at DSS or off-campus must register to take the test in the NULH section. To request DSS accommodation students should call 243-2243. For off-campus administration of the exam, the contact is . Off-campus administration is permitted at the discretion of the director for students not residing near Missoula due to demonstrated professional or academic commitments elsewhere.

► Students view their UDWPA score on Cyberbear under Student Records. Advisors will find UDWPA scores in Banner in SOATEST by typing in the test name WPA (formerly WASS). Scores are expressed as a sequence of two numbers, 1-5. Scores of 11 , 12, or 22 are non-passing. All others are passing scores. Scores are posted to Cyberbear/SOATEST approximately 10 days after each exam.

► No student is exempt from the UDWPA on the basis of the six-year catalog rule. Information about appealing the exam or the requirement can be found on the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam website at .

► Students are advised to prepare seriously for the exam using campus resources. Tutoring and workshops are available through The Writing Center.  Online tutorials are available through the UDWPA website at . Students who fail the exam are urged to find out why by reviewing their exam with a tutor at The Writing Center in LA 144.

~Submitted by Kelly Webster, Director, The Writing Center

November 1, 2010 Posted by | Advising, UDWPA | Leave a comment

Important Info About Refunds

Student Announcement:

University of Montana Students,

Beginning in December, The University of Montana will be partnering with Higher One®,  a financial services company focused solely on higher education, to bring  a new method for receiving your refunds to all University students ­­— the UM Debit Card.  Please do not throw away this important card because it is your ticket to a faster refund.

Simply put, your new UM Debit Card is designed to provide increased choice when it comes to receiving your financial aid or school refunds. It includes the preferred Easy Refundsm method, which is by far the fastest and easiest way to gain access to your refund money – literally the same day UM releases it.

Please activate your card as soon as you receive it.  Remember, even if you are not currently expecting a refund from UM, we may have a refund for you in the future.

If you’re not sure UM has your current mailing address, please take a moment to visit to update your address information today. Your new UM Debit Card will be mailed to your current address on file with the University. Therefore, it is critical that you verify your mailing address as soon as possible.

You can visit Debit Card/ to learn more about all the great benefits that accompany your all-new UM Debit Card!

~Submitted by Julie Cannon, Special Projects Manager, OSS

November 1, 2010 Posted by | Policy Reminders/Updates | Leave a comment